HOW TO FLY: Foilboarding has taken stand up paddling by storm. The pros are all obsessed by it, are developing their technique and everyone wants to try it. Here is a great tutorial on Tips and How To’s for foiling from Signature Surf team rider 15 year-old Nate van Vuuran.
Signature Surf 15-year old team rider Nate V on ‘How To Fly’
“One of the key points when catching a wave is to be sure to keep your weight on your front foot and keep your knees bent. When you’re up on a foil it feels like time has stopped and you’re flying through the water.” – Nate V
- First get on a jetski or a boat and get used to the feeling of being towed. This will give you an understanding of what it feels like to be above the water.
- When progressing into the waves, be sure to choose a beach away from people and other surfers.
- When paddling into a wave, be in surfer’s stance and paddle hard!
- Keep your weight on your front foot and your knees bent.
- When beginning to learn how to turn on the waves, remember to lead with your hips and twist with your upper body towards the wave.
- The biggest rule is to get out there and HAVE FUN.
Thanks, Nate! Looking forward to the next installment from Signature Surf.